A blog about my experience growing up with both Taiwanese and African heritage, and my love for classic Chinese music,arts and culture.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Visit to Dad's home town and Incense burning to the ancestors.......


Yesterday we went to visit our elder uncle,( Dad older brother) who live in the city of Yilan 宜蘭 to burn incense and pray to our ancestors. Yilan is the birth home of my father and the ancestral home of our family who according to elder uncle came to Taiwan from what is today Fujian Province in China, about a hundred and fifty years ago. It was surreal and really quite amazing to be standing in the house my father grew up in. I also visited the elementary school Dad and his siblings went to, and the Neighborhood they grew up in.

The Liu family shrine in the city of Yilan.


Elder uncle

Dad explaining some of the family history.


Different generations of the Liu family.

Dad's Childhood home in Yilan.

The neighborhood Dad grew up in.
Aunty made lunch and it was so so good.

My cousin and little brother.

No comments: